Monday, 9 September 2013

THE SINGLE DOUBLE!!

The "SINGLE DOUBLE" is to win the Molokai2Oahu World Championship and then the Catalina Classic all in the same year.  Not only is it in the same year, it is only one month apart. I am so stoked to have put my self up there with only four other paddlers ever to do so : Jamie Mitchell, Eric Abbott, Keoni Watson and Tim Gair. To have my name along side them is an amazing feeling...

The "SINGLE DOUBLE" is that goal you set yourself but you can never really think: "I have this in the bag," It is heavy. You first have to put all your focus on the Molokai - the Holy Grail of paddling and the hardest race in the world to win. It is technical, long, scary and just so gnarly. Then you finish that and you have less than a month to get ready to be back on the start line for another 32 miles of straight up paddling, no runs just hard work to get you from A to B. Catalina is a race where you really can't hide from hard work, not that you can in Molokai either but during the Molokai you get runs, in Catalina it's just a grind - you just have to paddle.

It was a great year for me this year.  I can really say I have reached a couple of my dream goals, but I think I have also just set a whole lot more.. I have to thank my family: Mel, Miah & Marlo for putting up with me; the Barks for letting me stay & making me boards - and for just been awesome, Steve Shlens for being a straight up legend and everyone else that helped me along the way.

To my sponsors: I couldn't do it with out your help! Massive thanks to Patagonia, Dragon Eyewear, Bark, Surftech, JM Sup.com & Reef.

Talk soon


No comments:

Post a Comment